Recipe Cray !!! The Only Sandwich UNI-EEED for Made In Paradise
This week, I paid a visit to the guys over at the Made in Paradise office. They invited me over to make a CRAY CRAY sandwich for their Sandwich of the Week series. I wanted to try something different, something I’ve never actually made before. I thought of ingredients that I love, but have never had in a sandwich, which is how I came up with “The Only Sandwich UNI-EEED.”
YAS, UNI is the main component of this sandwich! I wanted to make a version of a tuna salad sandwich, minus the tuna, replacing it with UNI instead. I needed a less expensive meatier ingredient, which is why I chose raw scallops. I made open-faced smaller sandwiches because I thought it would be more photogenic that way topped with huge chunks of uni! Here’s how it went!
- Lots of uni
- 8 Fresh Scallops (chopped)
- 1/2 cup of Tobiko (Roe)
- 1/4 cup of Kewpie Mayo
- 1/8 cup of Sriracha
- Hokkaido Milk Bread
- 2 tbsp of Butter
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Furikake mix
- 1/2 Cucumber (sliced)
- 1 Avocado (sliced)
- 6 Shiso Leaves
- 1 cup Japanese Kaiware
- Salt and Pepper
1. Butter up the Hokkaido Milk Bread and toast it in a pan until light golden brown.
2. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey and furikake mix. Brush the mixture onto the toasted bread.
3. Place the bread back onto the pan and toast until the soy sauce, honey, and furikake glaze caramelizes.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the chopped scallop, tobiko, Kewpie mayo, Sriracha, a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. How you want to assemble the sandwich is really up to you, but this is what I did. Place a layer of sliced cucumber onto the toasted bread. Add a layer of avocado. Add a bundle of Japanese Kaiware. Place scallop mixture on top of the Kaiware. Top with as much uni as you’d like. Finish with wasabi!
And that’s how it’s done, son. Check out the Made in Paradise website to see more of their Sandwich of the Week features!Breakfast / Brunch, Brunch, Dinner, Hong Kong, Japanese, Lunch, Lunch, North American